Chicken Biriyani is an authentic reflection of Persian Culinary art. This outstanding entree is a rice dish that’s popular not only in its origin but also on some of the countries around the globe. In India, Chicken Biriyani is not just any normal foreign recipe it is treated as a unanimously favorite dish making everyone believe it’s originated here. It can be made as Dum biriyani style or pressure cooker style.This post is about the latter style and will soon post the former recipe too.Pressure cooker biriyani is really simple and easy to prepare and the fun part is no need to wait long.Believe me, this might be the most effortlessly scrumptious chicken biriyani ever.Let’s get started with the recipe and drop your comments.
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Serves – 3 to 4
Recipe Category: Main course/Rice Recipes
Basmati Rice or Seeraga samba Rice – 2 cups
Water – 4 cups
Chicken -1/2 kg(Marinate with coriander powder, chilly powder and turmeric powder)
Onion-2 large thinly sliced
Green chilli – 2 (without splitting)
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 TBL spn
Coriander Leaves-1/2 cup
Mint leaves- 1/2 cup
Thick Unsour Curd / Yogurt -1 cup
Red chilli powder – 2 tsp or to taste
Garam Masala powder(optional)
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder /Malli podi – 1 tblspn
Oil – 3tblspn
Ghee – 1tblspn
Salt to taste
Lemon Juice as needed
Fennel Seeds / Sombu / Saunf – 1 tsp
Cinnamon / Pattai – 1 small stick
Cloves / Krambu – 5
Bay Leaf – 1
- Wash and Soak the basmati rice for around 30 min, then drain it and set aside.
- Now in the same oil, crackle all the seasoning ingredients and add in the whole green chilli, onion and fry on a low heat till brown.Now add the ginger garlic paste and saute till raw smell goes off.
- Add in coriander leaves and mint leaves, tomatoes and spice powders. Mix this well, let the oil can be separated from the masala.
- Add in yogurt and give a good mix. Now throw in the marinated chicken pieces and saute it for 10 mins till the chicken is well coated with the masala.
- Add in the soaked Basmati rice and combine well. Pour in 4 cups of water and season with some salt, lemon juice and mix well.
- Now bring this mixture to a boil and reduce the flame, cover the pressure cooker and cook it for 3 to 4 counts of the whistle. Now turn off the heat and let the steam go all by itself.
- Once cooked, open the pressure cooker and fluff it with a fork. You can add some fried onions at this point and mix well.
That’s It! Spicy Irresistible Chicken Biriyani is ready to be served with onion raita and any appetizers.
Marinating the chickens helps the chicken blend well with the biriyani and more tasteful.
Whistle counts have to be adjusted according to the pressure cooker you use.
Garnishing with fried onions enhances the biriyani taste.