Chilli Idli is a great recipe to try at home if you are bored with usual recipes. Chilly idli is one of my favourites but the thought of deep frying part doesn’t allow me to prepare often. I always prefer recipes with less oil. I even thought of baking the idlis but I was not sure about the outcome of this dish so tried with very minimal amount of idlis, at least oil consumption can be controlled. This dish is perfect especially if you have left over idlis. Let’s get started with the recipe.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
Serves:1 or 2
Category : Breakfast Recipes / Appetizers
Ingredients Required :
Left Over Idlis/Fresh Idlis – 6 no
Onion – 1
Ginger – 1 small piece finely chopped
Garlic – 3 cloves finely chopped
Green Chillies – 2 small sliced( you can skip this and adjust chilly powder)
Capsicum – 1/2 cut into small cubes
Red Chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Tomato Sauce – 1/2 tsp
Soya Sauce – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp (forgot to mention in the photo)
Oil – to deep fry
Salt – to taste
1. Cut the left over idlis into small cubes.If you are making out of fresh then refrigerate it at least for 20mins. Refrigerate the idli cubes for 5 mins again for avoiding the idlis to become loose while frying. Heat oil in a kadai and deep fry the idlis until it turns golden brown.
2. Drain in tissue paper and set aside.Heat oil in a pan and add chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies and saute for a minute.
3. Now add onion and saute for a while.Then add capsicum, saute for 2mins. Let the onions and capsicum retain its crispiness and do not let them turn brown or mushy.Now add the fried idlis, red chilli powder and sauces mentioned.
4. Finally, add pepper powder and give a quick toss for the mixture to blend with the fried idlis.
That’s it! Crispy yet soft Chilly Idli is ready.Garnish with coriander leaves or spring onions and serve it.
- Refrigerate idlis for avoiding the crumbles while deep frying.
- For the idlis to be crispy once the idlis are tossed with the mixture switch off the flame.
- You can skip adding green chillies and adjust spice levels with chilly powder.
- Serve hot as it may turn soggy after a while.