Channa masala is popularly known as chole masala and nothing beats the combo of chole masala and the bhatura ( poori made from maida ). Whenever I plan to have dinner at a restaurant, chole bhatura is always my first choice to order since it seems to be restaurant only dish. But after trying it in home I am bragging now as a super cook 😉
Channa / Chickpeas – 1 cup (soak overnight or 4 to 6 hrs before)
Onion – 1/2 small chopped finely
Tomato – 1/2 small chopped finely
Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
Chole /Channa Masala powder / Garam Masala Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – as required
Coriander leaves – handful
Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Tomato – 1
Onion – 1
Ginger – 1/2 inch piece
Cloves – 1/4 inch piece
Cinnamon – 1
Fennel Seeds – 1 tsp
Coconut – 1/2 cup (optional)
Boiled channa – 2 tbsp
- Soak channa overnight and pressure cook chickpeas until it becomes soft but not mushy and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add the ingredients under ‘to grind’ except boiled channa and saute until tomatoes raw smell goes off.
- Transfer to mixer grinder and add boiled channa and grind it to a thick paste and keep aside the ground masala.
- Now add oil in the kadai and add chopped onions and tomatoes, add ginger garlic paste and fry till raw smell leaves. Now add coriander powder, chilly powder and salt. Saute till raw smell leaves.
- Add the grinded masala paste along with channa masala powder or garam masala and mix well. Pour the cooked channa water and let it boil for 3-5 mins under sim.
- Now add cooked channa and mix well. Allow the gravy to boil for two minutes and when the gravy is thick enough, switch off the flame. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves, chopped raw onion and lemon juice.
- Serve hot with Roti or chola Poori / Bhaturas. It blends well with bread too.
- Make sure channa is not overcooked and turns mushy.
- You can pressure cook the final gravy for one whistle if required.
- Along with the ground paste I added coconut for a thick consistency but it is completely optional.