Potato Fry! Who does hate this recipe?I know, from kids to elders everyone is fond of potato fry.There is always a myth that potato fry requires more oil for a better crispy version.But as I said earlier “it’s a myth” and I am gonna tell you how to do this crispy potato fry with less than two tablespoons of oil.The secret lies behind the removal of excess starch from the potato.
Do I sound more technical?Yes, I have to be, to explain better.We all know potatoes are the starchy vegetable which makes the boiled potatoes turn mushy while sauteing.To avoid that chopped potatoes have to left in a bowl of water for a while which removes the excess starch.Once draining the water and following the recipe below leads to a crispy brown potato fry.I am betting you, try once and this gonna be your often side dish in the menu.Potato fry always tastes well with dal, rice, rasam and mor kuzhambu.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Serves: 2 to 3
Recipe Category: Lunch Accompaniments/Poriyal & Koottu Varieties
Potatoes – 2 Medium size(chopped into thin pieces)
Onion – 1 small size (sliced)
Mustard Seeds- 1/4 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Chilly powder – 1/2 tbsp
Asafoetida – generous pinch(optional)
Salt – to taste
- Peel and chop the potatoes into very thin pieces or cubes and keep it in a bowl of water for a while.
- Heat oil in a cooking vessel. Once the oil turns hot, add the mustard seeds, urad dal and allow to splutter. Add the sliced onion, asafoetida and curry leaves and mix.
- Immediately add the drained cubed potatoes. Saute on high heat for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add some water and reduce heat to low, place lid and cook till the potatoes turn soft, approx 15 mins. You can mix the contents once during this cooking process.
- Add the chilli powder, salt and mix well. Stir fry without lid on high flame for 3 to 4 mins and toss the potatoes well till they attain a golden crisp exterior.
- Turn off heat and serve with rice, dal or mor kuzhambu.
That’s It! Crispy and Spicy Potato Fry is ready to be served any lunch menu.
- Do not overcook the potatoes,which might make the recipe more mushy.
- You can adjust the chilly powder as per your spice level.
- As much the potato pieces are thin crispier the fry will be.