This Thanks Giving Weekend was a perfect holiday for my family.After a long time, I met my elder daughter Theethya (sister’s daughter) in Columbus.How can I go see her without any surprise? Yes, I was working on a small project for adding in a new dress for my daughter’s closet with an adorable Flower Fairy Tutu Dress before arriving there.Honestly, I was a bit busy with these craft pieces of stuff. Already I have shared another tutu dress tutorial for my baby’s 1st birthday party. I was supposed to share the Flower Fairy Tutu Dress tutorial I made for Theethya , but you know me, was bit busy and always late.The tutu dress has got a major cuteness factor and sewing it makes it sooo much better. If you just need to cover the basics of tutu dress you can whip up in maximum one hour. To upgrade and create a gorgeous look it may take some time but its all about your interest. So come on! Let’s get started.
- Yellow tulle fabric 6in X 100yd rolls – 1 count
- Pink tulle 6in x 100yd rolls – 1 count
- Orange tulle 6in x 100yd rolls – 1 count. I prefer not buying it in a bolt,which may require lots of time to cut the fabric.
- I try to get them on sale for $1.50/roll. You’ll need to add layers to the crochet top about to get it as thick and long.
- Crocheted top 6-10in wide (choose as per your kid’s height )
- Scissors to cut the tulle
- Satin Ribbon (yellow and pink color ) for the straps.
- 2 Pink Crochet Headband.
- Clear small rubber bands for tying the ends together or needle and thread for stitching it.
- Artificial pearls and clear glue.
Measure your princess from hip to feet.DOUBLE THE LENGTH! I knew I wanted a tutu about 24″ long, so I cut my tulle strands about 48 ″ long. (The easiest way to cut a lot of tulle at once is by wrapping the spool around a flattened box or cardboard and cutting one end.Wrap wrap wrap. Cut one end. Ta-da! 48″ strands are ready to make a slip knot!
How To Do :
Bottom Part :
- Fold a piece of tulle in half then grab the bottom of the crocheted top and push the tulle loop through.
- Grab the two ends of the tulle and pull them through the loop, making a slip knot.
- Continue all the way around until you achieve your desired fullness.
- If you need more fluffy look add the layers of tulle around the crochet top.I gave 3 layers for this fluffy look.
- Now to give the cinderella look to the dress I added another layer around the hip with half the length then later split the layers into two sides and stitch or you can use a rubber band to group it together.Later stitch the flower at the both ends and at the front centre of the dress as shown.
- Satin ribbon with bigger width can be wrapped around the hip and make a bow like shape in the back centre of the crochet top.
Shoulder part :
This part makes this tutorial so special because I have searched a lot for creating a tutu dress with the sleeve.Crochet tops are mostly available in tube tops format and wearing the tutu dress without sleeve makes kids look leaner.Giving more serious thought suddenly this sleeve idea popped into my head from nowhere and gave it a try.Once done I felt very proud myself as this was a splendid idea.
Getting started with the sleeve method take the crochet headband and tulle fabrics of 4″ long in all three colors and start to make the slip knots in the crochet band as shown below.
Repeat the steps until reaching three or four rows for a fluffy look.
Now using a needle and thread stitch the headband around the shoulders as a sleeve.
Now due to the dress weight, the band can get elongated due to the elasticity.To avoid that use the pink satin ribbon and thread it under the headband and stitch it, in the end, measuring your kid’s sleeve.
Upgradation Part :
- To add a gorgeous look you can stitch some flowers on the crochet top and on the bottom fabric.Artificial Flowers can be bought in dollar stores or Wal-Mart for cheap. I used yellow flowers
- I added the Yellow satin ribbons cut into 24″ long along with the tulle fabric as shown in the picture.
- At last, glued some artificial pearls to the dress randomly for a classic look.
- That’s It! Flower Fairy Tutu Dress is ready for the fairy to wear.