Shrimps/Prawns/Iral is a protein rich, low-calorie seafood.Except cleaning, preparing shrimp recipes are very easy and it requires very minimal time.Shrimp is an all time favorite sea-food for my hubby and that how I ended up in cooking prawns often.
Some don’t prefer eating shrimps due to their looks or taste whatever.My personal opinion is you shouldn’t avoid shrimp unless you have any seafood allergy because shrimp contains selenium, an antioxidant mineral that activates enzymes to fight the growth of cancer-causing free radicals.Coming back to the recipe, this prawn thokku is very easy to prepare with very less ingredients required.This looks simple but still makes your menu more special so let’s get started.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Serves: 2 to 3
Recipe Category: Kuzhambu / Gravy Recipes
Prawn/Shrimps -10 or 12 pieces(Deveined and cleaned)
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tbsp
Onion – 1 big (chopped)
Tomato – 1 big(Sliced)
Ginger & Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
Chilly powder – 1 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tbsp
- Devein & wash the prawns using turmeric powder and salt completely.Prepare the ingredients mentioned above and keep aside.Now heat oil in a kadai, add the mustard seeds, chopped onion and saute till it turns translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute well for a minute.Now add the ginger garlic paste and after a while add the masala powders mentioned above and saute till it turns mushy.
- Pour some water and add the salt to taste and let it boil till the raw smell goes off.Now add the cleaned prawns and cook for approximately seven minutes.
- Transfer it to a bowl and garnish it with the coriander leaves.
That’s It! Spicy Prawn Thokku is ready to be served with hot rice.
- Clean the prawns thoroughly especially devein the prawns.
- Sprinkle some salt while sauteing onions which helps to remove its moisture faster.
- Overcooking prawns results in a rubber-like consistency so do not cook more than six to seven minutes.
Thanks for stopping by! For more recipes click the below link.