Meen Kuzhambu – I am drooling while writing this post. My most favorite recipe and will not get bored even if I need to have this same recipe for a week. To me, amma makes the best meen kuzhambu and I haven’t tasted any better than hers. Shhh hope my mother in law doesn’t hear it 😉 Not to mention,my mother in law do cook fabulously than my mom and most of the recipes I posted here is my mother in law versions.Even fish gravy prepared by Mother in Law is also a sumptuous recipe and it is my hubby’s all time favorite & will post the recipe soon.However, on coming to the fish gravy my vote is for my mom’s version.From my childhood, it’s has been in the top list that might be the reason why I am still in love with my mom’s version of fish gravy.
Coming to the recipe,preparing fish kuzhambu is very easy except the cleaning part of fish.Adjusting the tangy and spicy level of the kuzhambu makes the recipe more perfect.Let’s get started with the recipe.
Prep Time : 30 mins
Cook Time : 30 mins
Serves – 3 to 4
Recipe Category: Kuzhambu/Gravy Recipes
Fish – Cleaned pieces(I used Pomfret fish variety)
Tamarind – Lemon sized
Fenugreek -1/4 tbsp
Fennel Seeds – 1/4 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Onion – 1 big chopped
Tomato – 1 big chopped
Garlic – 5 gloves
Coriander Powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
Chilly Powder – 1 1/4 tbsp
Salt – To taste
Turmeric powder – a generous pinch
Coriander leaves – 1 tsp
Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Clean the fish pieces using turmeric powder and salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds,fennel seeds and fenugreek once it splutters add the chopped garlic,onion and saute till its transparent.
- Now add the tomatoes,saute for a minute and add the chilly powder,coriander powder and turmeric powder. Saute till it turns mushy and oozes out oil.
- Now add the tamarind water and salt to taste.Let it boil and add the grinded coconut paste and cook for 15 to 20 mins.
- Once the raw smell goes off add the cleaned fish pieces and let it cook for five minutes.
- Garnish the fish gravy with chopped coriander leaves.
- That’s It! Spicy Meen Kuzhambu/Fish Gravy is ready to be served with hot steam rice.
- Adjust the chilly powder according to the spice level you prefer.
- Mostly any fish requires only five minutes to cook,its better to check whether the fish is cooked before switching off the stove.
- You can replace it with any other fish variety.
- Use only gingelly oil for more aromatic unique taste.