This a quick healthy breakfast/dinner recipe prepared from raghi vermicelli. I used Anil raghi vermicelli for making this semiya upma. I have posted both the sweet and savoury versions of the upma. Finger Millet (Kezhvaraku) is a great source of iron. The fiber content of the raghi helps manage cholesterol problems. So this is a great recipe for all age group. Fortunately, kids just love the sweeter version. So why don’t you give it a try and enjoy the satisfaction of preparing some healthy recipe for your family? Leave your comments and query below.
Prep Time: 5 Mins
Cook Time: 15 to 20 Mins
Recipe Category: Breakfast/Dinner
Onion – 1
Green chili – 4
Salt – As needed
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard – 3/4 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Chana dal – 2 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Add some salt in water and soak the raghi vermicelli in water for 3 to 5 minutes and drain it completely.
- Using an idli pot cook the raghi vermicelli for 6 to 8 minutes. Once it is soft enough and cooked, fluff the raghi and keep aside in a separate vessel.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a kadai and temper with the items mentioned under “To Temper” and later add the green chillies and onions. Saute till the onion turns translucent.
- Now add the cooked ragi semiya in the same pan and mix well.
- Add shredded coconut, sugar and cardamom(optional) to the cooked ragi semiya and mix well.
- Do not soak the ragi more than five minutes because raghi will start to dissolve.
- Mix the cooked ragi with tempering as soon as possible, delaying makes the ragi dry and hard.
[amazon_link asins=’B01BWL1X7O,B00ZCJUA7W,B00NYZTGEO,B00L141L2K’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’amazonplugin00-21′ marketplace=’IN’ link_id=’a6e4929c-94d2-11e7-bbd7-5bff3c2f912c’]