Koottu is a popular South Indian lentils based recipe which is normally served along with rice.Some prefer to have this with roti/phulkas too. Sorakkai koottu is a simple and instant dish to try as it is prepared in pressure cooker. The highlight of this recipe is it’s very healthy and light. Seasoning just enhances the taste of koottu. Let’s learn how to prepare this delicious Sorakkai koottu recipe in a jiffy.
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves : 4 to 5
Bottle Gourd / Sorakkai / Lauki – 3 cups chopped
Yellow Moong Dal / Pasi Paruppu – 1/4 cup
Bengal Gram / Kadalai Paruppu – 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Water as needed
Coconut – 3/4 cup grated
Dry Red Chilli – 2
Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds / Kaduku – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Peel the skin and chop bottle gourd into a medium size pieces. Wash them well and keep aside.
- Meanwhile ,add in washed moong dal and kadalai paruppu with water and salt in a pressure cooker and cook for 4 whistles.
- Take grinding ingredients in a blender, add water and make into a smooth paste.
- Add this to the dal mixture along with the chopped bottle gourd and mix well. Cook this for 1 whistle in the same cooker.
- Transfer the koottu to a bowl and now make the seasoning. Heat oil , crackle mustard, curry leaves and add to the koottu.
- Easy and Instant koottu recipe is ready to be served as a sidedish.I also prefer having koottu mixing with the rice.So give it a try and let me know.
- Some prefers to boil bottle gourd seperately in water but this is an easy version and time consuming.
- If the koottu becomes watery you can add 1tbsp of rice flour for the perfect consistency.
- Channa dal can be fully replaced with moong dal but I prefer the combination of both lentils.
- By changing the veggies with the same recipe variety of koottu can be prepared.However will post the different koottu recipes soon.
For more Gravy Recipes click the below link.